December 17, 2008

You can't own a mountain any more than you can own an ocean or a piece of the sky...


You hold it in trust. You live on it, you take life from it, and once you're dead, you rest in it.

.......................



It’s Christmas Eve ‘33 in the Virginia Mountains. The Walton’s await their father whose return is threatened by a worsening snowstorm. John-boy sets out to find his father and in the course of the journey discovers something of the nature of his dad. When his father finally returns, he brings a special gift for his son that reveals an unexpected understanding of the dreams and aspirations that one day will lead John-boy far from the mountain.


Graceful yet harder-edged than the subsequent TV series (which ran for nine years), The Homecoming reveals much about the importance of family, of faith, and the strength and closeness that comes through sharing and enduring hardship.

“Christmas is the season where we give tokens of love. In that house we received not tokens but love itself. I became the writer I promised my father I would be - and my destiny lead me far from Walton's Mountain. My mother lives there still, alone now for we lost my father in 1969. My brothers and sisters, grown with children of their own, live not far away. We are still a close family and see each other when we can. And like Miss Maime Baldwin's fourth cousins, we're apt to sample the recipe and then gather around the piano and hug each other while we sing the old songs. For no matter the time or distance, we are united in the memory of that Christmas Eve. More than 30 years and 3,000 miles away, I can still hear those sweet voices.”
Earl Hamner, Jr.

resources

Read Earl Hamner’s wonderful novel...


It’s a sad fact but it’s been YEARS since I’ve seen this on TV, and I honestly can’t figure why it’s failed to become a classic – you might check your local listings, but you probably won’t find it…however, you can order a copy here...

and you can watch the trailer for it right here…


No comments: